During the day, our tender facial skin is constantly under attack from pollution, makeup, dirt, oil, and bacteria. If you go to bed without cleansing and treating your skin, all of those things settle into your pores causing acne, scarring, hyperpigmentation, and uneven, textured skin. Plus, while we sleep, our body is repairing and recovering from the prior day’s activities. During the night, cell regeneration is kicked into hyper-drive - getting rid of thousands and thousands of skin cells. The key to a flawless face is to provide the best environment for the dead skin cells to be replaced with fresh new cells. Following a proper nighttime skincare routine is a must to help with this process.
Here are a few tips to find the perfect night time skincare routine that is best for you.
1. Get to Know Your Skin
It is very important to have a basic level of understanding of your skin. Not every skincare product is made for every person. Ask yourself - Is your skin dry or oily? Do you suffer from discoloration or hyperpigmentation? Large pores? Acne? Do you have dark spots? Is your skin dry? Knowing these things about your skin will help you find the best skincare products that will work best for your skin type.
2. Stick with high-quality and SAFE ingredients
Think of your skin like an expensive silk scarf. Would you wash your scarf in harsh chemicals that could damage the fiber and cause it to look old and ragged? Your face is worth more than a fancy piece of fabric, so treat it kindly and with respect. When choosing skin care products for your nighttime routine, look for ingredients that you can easily pronounce. For example, our PB Beauty Cream is chock-full of skin-loving ingredients - including shea butter, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, licorice, and kojic acid.
3. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer
Some ingredients will either complement or negate the effects of each other. Pay very close attention to the directions provided to make sure you get the maximum benefits of the ingredients. For example, we recommend gently cleansing your skin with one of our PB soaps and gently exfoliating before using our Luminous Serum or Beauty Cream (be sure to check out our Dual Brightening Skinsual Face & Body bar!) This will ensure your skin is prepped and ready to receive the full benefits of the serum and/or cream.
4. Be consistent! (and pay attention to what you put inside your body!)
Miracles will not happen overnight, but if you maintain a consistent schedule - you will see changes in your skin overall. With that said, if you have a diet that consists of high-fat greasy foods that offer very little nutrition, it doesn’t matter if the products are high-quality or expensive. Pay attention to what you feed your skin! Drink lots of water, eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and get your body moving. When you do this in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle, you will see dramatic changes in your skin’s texture and overall quality.
Our Recommended Nighttime Skin Care Routine
As we mentioned, there is no “one size fits all approach” when it comes to skincare. However, the following steps provide a great framework for getting flawless, glass-skin like texture and appearance!
- Start with a good cleanser & exfoliate - Cleanse your skin gently with an exfoliating cloth and a gentle soap (like our Dual Skincare Skinsual Bath & Body Bar)
- Apply a Serum - After rinsing the cleanser off, it’s time to apply a high-quality serum - like our Luminous Serum. The serum will infuse your skin with skin-loving ingredients, boost hydration, and set the stage for a good moisturizer.
- Then apply a light layer of a rich moisturizer. This will seal the serum’s benefits, increase hydration, and improve skin tone. (Try our PB Beauty Cream)
- Don’t forget your lips! A simple sugar scrub will help sloth off the dead skin cells and a hydrating lip balm will soothe & prevent dry chapped lips. Once a week, mix up two teaspoons of sugar with one teaspoon avocado or coconut oil. Gently rub the mixture on the lips and apply your favorite balm.
If you follow these simple steps every single night, you will have soft, smooth, and glowing skin!
Have questions about finding the best routine for your skin? Send us an email and we will provide recommendations for the best options for you!
Love you guys! XOXO